Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Tuesday Tip

I am trying to get more organized as I travel my quilting journey.  One thing I try to do is not put small pieces back in my drawers of fabrics.  If possible I cut it into squares or strips.  I collect 1 1/2", 2", 2 1/2" and 3 1/2"  squares.  The rest of the scraps are divided into strings or crumbs.  The explanation on how to start your own system is on www.quiltville.com called the Scrap Saver's System by Bonnie Hunter.
I use old snack containers that previously held pretzels, cheese pops, or nuts.  After washing them out good, they are re-purposed to hold my squares while keeping the dust and pet hair off of them.  Plus, the clear containers allow me to see some of the collection.  I am excited that I finally have a stash to turn to when I need something for a quilt.

I have been digging through my brights drawer and black/gray drawer.  Wednesday I will be having a cutting day with my friend, Cathy, and other quilting friends.  The cutting will be in preparation for our class on Thursday with Bonnie Hunter in Peoria, IL.  Wednesday night will be a trunk show with Bonnie.  Thursday will be an all day class on Smith Mountain Morning  in her second book.
Here is the mock up of the two main blocks on a design wall for Smith Mountain Morning.  I will post more in future blogs.
 
Its taken me about 20 years to get to the point where I consider myself to have a stash.  How's your stash today?

Yours in quilting,
Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment