Monday, November 11, 2013

Design Wall

My design wall is severely weighted down today.  I have four quilts going at the same time. 
First, I worked on my Block of the Month for Country Threads.

These blocks are made out of fabric pulled from my stash.  I like them because they are scrappy and its only taken me 20 years to get a stash built up that I can pull fabric from.  LOL  But, I think if I were to make them again I would make sure they had more contrast.  They appear to be a little to tonal or blah.  In the scheme of things, once the quilt is put together, you will never notice this problem. 
When I layed out the fabrics to make the blocks, they didn't feel all the same tones.  I found I needed to add an additional color to each block when I started cutting.  When they were assembled there just wasn't the contrast that I was hoping for.
 
Yesterday I worked on my Smith Mountain Morning quilt by Bonnie Hunter. 
I got three star blocks made and three courthouse step blocks.  I am participating in the Bonnie Challenge over at Jo's Country Junction.  A group of us are trying to finish some of our Bonnie Hunter UFO's before the 2013 Celtic Solstice Mystery starts Friday, November 29th.  We leave comments cheering each other on to completion.
 
My third project is the corner stone stars for my Amber Waves of Grain quilt by Kaye England.  The star blocks are only 4 1/4" big.  I have been working on these as leader and enders.  Twenty-seven stars are completed.  All 23 stars left are cut out and ready for piecing.  For the first time, I had enough blue fabrics that I did not repeat any.
Finally, on the back of my flannel sheet design wall is Aiming for Accuracy.  I have not made any additional progress on this quilt.  I was able to go to Michele's website, Quilting Gallery, and print off the final lessons.  I have the whole pattern to finish the quilt now if I could create more time.
I am planning a giveaway of fabrics to help those who want to participate in Bonnie Hunter's Celtic Solstice.  Starting this Saturday, November 16th.  I will be giving away two fat quarters each Saturday for three Saturdays in a row.  Leave me a comment and become a follower of my blog to be entered in the giveaway.  I will draw the winner each Monday. 
 
Today I am linking up with Judy at Patchwork Times for Design Wall Monday.
 
Have a great day.  I am headed out for a longarm class with Sue Krause today.  I plan on stopping at a few quilt stores along the way to get further fabric ideas for Celtic Solstice.
 
Yours in quilting,
Terry

3 comments:

  1. Love your projects - especially your Smith Mtn Morning. What great colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A giveaway? Sure, I'm in! I have fabrics pulled for CS but as with any Quiltville pattern, the more the merrier.

    Four WIPs? Hope you can choose one and make headway with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Terry, you share my ADQD (attention deficit quilting disorder)!

    I am so happy to see your bright Smith Mountain Morning. I will be taking that class at Pigeon Forge in March and couldn't see beyond Bonnie's blue and brown (which I love), but you have inspired me to take another look (even though I've already cut a bunch of strips).

    I have an unfinished Cathedral Stars so maybe I should take up Jo's challenge, as well.

    ReplyDelete