Monday, February 25, 2013

Fulton Retreat

About a week ago I was arriving at Susan's Calico Creations in Fulton, IL.  This is a three story quilt and furniture store along with being a retreat center. Four times a year Susan has a group of quilters retreat with her.  If there is interest in a new technique, Susan or one of us teaches the others. Otherwise we just sew, shop, and eat. Each  their turn at cooking and/or meal prep.

Above is the quilt I finished before I left.

When I arrived many of  the gals had settled in and started their projects.  This is Mera's project.  She spent Friday evening sorting values and color families.  This was the NO FAN zone (like a no wake zone when boating).  Can you manage her frustration if someone knocked this large assortment askew?

Here is the progress she made.  It is awesome watching her design this quilt.  She was using a peep hole or reducing glass, a red tinted plastic viewer or the camera. 
Here is Susie beautiful finish quilt.  Beautiful quilting by Carol Onken.

Above isSusie's new finished quilt top.  She was busy all weekend making a stunning backing for this one.  Below is Sheri's finish.  This is a scrappy quilt is a wedding gift for her niece.
Below is  Carol's scrappy log cabin and she quilted it on her longarm. 
Below is Cathy Kieser's beautiful Easy Street finish.  Don't you just love those borders she designed.  She had extra four patches and set them on point in the second border.  You can catch a peak of my Easy Street blocks laying on the floor next to Cathy's.  I was close to finishing all my blocks but I was short a few bricks of white on black.  It is now finished after the retreat and needs borders.

Unfortunately, I find that I did not take as many pictures as usual.  I missed Karen's Paisley Embroidery quilt and Cathy's Plaid quilt along with others.  My mind was half with my dad in the hospital and half at the retreat.  So glad for cell phones and kept in touch with him each day.

Yours in quilting,
Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment