Monday, March 10, 2014

Monday Design Wall

Woo Hoo! Its Monday and last week was so productive.  Five quilts finished last week HERE.

This morning I am writing my blog, picking up the house, meeting with a customer at 11am and then headed to a longarm class.  This class only meets every other month.  Looking forward to seeing what the others have been doing on their snow days.

I have the blocks cut for the next block in the 2014 BOM Quilt Doodle Designs.  It is a large pine tree block.  Using stash fabric, yippee!
I have my barn block ready for Quilter's Garden Barn Quilt BOM tomorrow night. Along with the two previous month's blocks, Illinois Block.
There is one problem.  In the bottom block I flipped the flying geese blocks in assembly so I have Ohio Star block instead of the Illinois block.  I will wait to see if it will really make a difference.  If its a sampler quilt I will just have more variety.
 
Friday night our guild had a great time with speaker, Chris Lynn Kirsch.  We followed her journey of making Mariner's Compass quilts and thinking outside-the-box on stretching our compasses.  I felt like I had jumped off into the sea of creativity and I swimming with loads of  ideas for quilts.
From left to right:  Kate H, myself, Mary W and Barb A.
 
I believe all of us chose not to do a round compass.  We borrowed a large oval serving platter from the church kitchen as a template.  Following Chris' step-by-step instructions from her Compass Capers book and personal instructions in class, look how much we were able to complete.  I have three more sections to paper piece before sewing my compass together.  (I had to order and run to pick up lunch so I had a little less sewing time than the others.)
 
I am a convert!!! I have done little paper piecing and this was so much fun.  Can't wait to do another one!  Chris self-published her own book, therefore she was able to include step-by-step pictures.  So I know when I go to do this at home, I will be successful!  This is the third time we have had Chris teach for our guild and I highly recommend her classes.  We said we would like to be the guinea pigs for the next class she is developing. (hint, hint)
 
Today I am linking up with Judy at Patchwork Times
Enjoy the day, as we are suppose to have near 60 degrees and sunny today!
 
Yours in quilting,
Terry
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Wow your mariners compass pieces are great. Makes me think that I have one stashed somewhere and a whole lot of instructions to make more. I like your oops block and bet it won't make all that much difference either. Maybe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bonnie. I will wait to see what the mystery barn quilt looks like at the end before unsewing the block. It maybe a humility block or just a creative decision. Thanks for stopping by and chatting with me.

      Delete
  2. Those Mariners Compasses are looking really good. It's a block I keep meaning to use in my ceramics work but have never got round to. They do look a bit complicated, but that's all part of the fun, I think! xCathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please don't hesitate to try it. If you can't take a class, order Chris Lynn Kirsch's book "Compass Capers". It has step by step pictures and instructions. We drafted our paper templates in 10 minutes. I didn't believe I could do it. But now I can't wait to make another.

      Delete