Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Terrific Tuesday - Tip

 
This was a quilt that I was commissioned to make last year for Steve's birthday.
He had purchased the Civil War panel kit at a local quilt show some years back.  His girlfriend snuck the kit out of the house and brought it to me for a birthday surprise.
 
The one thing I didn't think of or anticipate was that the blocks with the Civil War scenes could start to droop after hanging.  So I let Steve know that I thought I should add quilting inside each scene to prevent drooping within the blocks. 
 
 I bring this up as today's tip.  Be honest with your customers.  We are human and we all make mistakes or learn of better ways to improve our quilts.  I feel it is also our part to educate and help others with their quilts.  So even though, the customer had already taken the quilt home, I contacted him and recommended additional work on the quilt at no cost to the customer.
 
Steve dropped off the quilt and I added quilting to the six large scene blocks, using monopoly thread.
Steve returned to pick up the quilt and was going to order a magnetic quilt hanger. 
 
Today I received the above picture with the attached note:

"Thought you'd like to see the quilt you made now hanging in my dining room. I really love it! Thanks for making it."  Steve Shipp
 
Today I am linking up with Freemotion by the River and Quilt Story.
 
Yours in quilting,
Terry


 
 

2 comments:

  1. Looks beautiful and I agree that the large panels would need some quilting. I made a wall hanging once where I left big areas unquilted and eventually I had to take it down and quilt it some more. Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful quilt. I like your tip and have found the same problem with embroidered pieces. I now quilt over the work and try to keep it simple so it doesn't take away from the hand work. Great reminder tip.

    ReplyDelete