Wednesday, July 24, 2013

In the Heat of the Moment

Last Friday morning, I took off and headed to a local auction.  Since it was Friday morning at 10 am I didn't expect to see too many people out.  I was wrong.  There was a nice size crowd and only 95 degrees in the shade.  Their pocket books were not melting as people were bidding fair prices.  It was one of the nicer auctions I had been to lately.  The furniture was clean and in good shape. 

In the heat, I was starting to get quite warm but had enjoyed visiting with friends I had not seen in a while.  Working in my basement studio, that is what I miss the most is socialization.   So taking a break and going to the auction was fun.  I didn't win any bids until it came to this sewing machine.  In the heat of the moment I bid on it and won it for $2.50.  Was this a good or bad thing, was yet to been seen.  I paid my bill and put the lid back on the machine and was shocked when I went to pick it up.  It must weigh 40 lbs.  The owner asked if I would like help to the car, but being tough I stated I could handle it.  Hahaha!  I only made it to the end of the driveway and the handle was cutting into my hand.  So I set it down at the edge of the driveway, walked to the car and drove up to load it.

Does anyone know anything about this cutie?  Haines....Rod and I plugged it in.  It runs.  I tried to wind a bobbin, which works.  The motor smoked a little, so it needs a good cleaning and oiling.  The guild's sewing machine cleaning day is coming up Sept. 13th, so I will have it cleaned then.

Also, I couldn't figure out how to thread it.  This will be a work in progress.  I think it will be fun to have my own vintage sewing machine to sew along with Bonnie Hunter and her quilt cam sessions.  This also means I will have to name the machine?  Any ideas?

Here is a view of the side plate.  She's a beauty with a little cleaning.  The decals on the bed of  the machine are in good condition, also.

A Toast:  Here's to keeping each other in stitches!

Yours in quilting,
Terry

1 comment: