Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Tuesday Tip - Making a Design Wall

One of the quilt shops I have taken a class at has design walls made of foam sheet insulation.  So after explaining it to my husband, he thought it was a great idea to make me one.  We stopped in at the local lumberyard and bought 1 1/2" thick 4' x 8' sheet Styrofoam.  Because I am limited in space and wanted the design wall to be moveable from area to area, we cut the 4' x 8' sheet in half giving me two 4' x 4' pieces.

 
Then I stopped at the Staples and bought a bag of large binder clips. 
 
 
Next I covered the Styrofoam with flannel.  I used my "bent pin" from my pin cushions.  Just starting at the top securing the flannel with pins and then alternating from side to side pinned the flannel taut.
When I got to the bottom I just folded the flannel up on the back and pinned in place.  Now I took the binder  clips and put them on the top of the Styrofoam.  Space the clips however you need them so you can hang your design wall on nails or cuphooks.  The wall is very light so it won't take very big nails.
 
The backside is not pretty, but who is going to see that?
 
Now you are in business.  My flannel has a grid marked on it.
 
You could actually do this with a quilty friend and you could each have a 4' x 4' design wall.
I haven't decided what to do with my second 4' x 4' Styrofoam.  The costs were about $16 for the Styrofoam, $4.99 for bag of 8 large binder clips and I had the flannel in my stash.
 
Yours in quilting,
Terry

2 comments:

  1. Love your idea, Terry. My Styrofoam is nailed to the wall, and I use pins to keep the blocks on it. We are moving soon (hopefully) so I'll try your idea at the next abode. Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. I saw this method at a quilt store. It is so easy, light weight and fairly economical. Hugs.

      Delete